Friday, August 7, 2009

Local Mountain Flight

Some days I feel very lucky for where I live and work and owning a plane. Wednesday was one of those days. The airport is only 5 minutes from work, so I can have a very memorable flight over lunch. Every once in a while I take advantage of that. I took up two friends from work on Wednesday for a flight over the continental divide.

Below is my approximate flight path recorded from my SPOT tracker as mentioned in my earlier post about SPOT tracking with planes.

Local Mountain Flight PathI did not have a chance to take pictures, but my friends did and here are some of their pictures from the flight.

Shortly after takeoff, we leave the edge of the plains for the foothills.


Edge of foothills
Minutes later we are up on the eastern side of the divide looking at the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Lake on East side of divide Approaching Rollins/Corona Pass, we fly by the Eldora Ski Resort which is just on the east side of the divide.

Eldora Ski Area Aerial

Just after passing over the divide, there are more mountain ranges and the Winter Park Ski Resort. It is amazing how close these two resorts are by plane; only minutes apart by plane, but 2 hours by car.

Winter Park Ski Area AerialThere are lots of pretty alpine lakes on both sides of the divide. Below is one on the west side of the divide.

Lake near divideHere is a picture of Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. This is a beautiful area from the ground and the air.

Bear Lake Aerial Here is the pretty Long's Peak from the air.

Long's Peak
And then it is time to descend into KLMO, put the plane away, grab a quick and tasty burger at the new Flight Deck Grill in Longmont, and head back to work.

Flying in the Rocky Mountains over the divide reminds me of some of the best parts of flying with only one hour of flying time.

/Brian

2 comments:

Brian said...

For more thoughts on Mountain Flying check my Mountain Flying Thoughts Blog Post or VFR Paths Over the Rockies Blog Post.

mountain flight said...

This blog provides great information on local mountain flight topic which is great to have.